Braised Celery. This braised celery really is such a simple side dish. Celery is braised in a mild chicken broth. A simple but flavorful side dish I often serve with spicier View image.
Braising mellows this stalky vegetable and brings out a rich, savory flavor. Celery finds its way into all kinds of dishes, but we rarely appreciate the stalks on their own. Get to know this vegetable anew by braising it with thyme in this easy, five-ingredient dish. You can have Braised Celery using 8 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Braised Celery
- It’s 1 head of celery, de-stringed and cut into about 5cm.
- You need 30 g of butter.
- You need 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 of medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced.
- It’s 220 g of hot vegetable or chicken stock.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of freshly chopped parsley.
- It’s to taste of Salt.
- Prepare to taste of Grounded black pepper.
If you love raw celery then why not try this easy side dish of celery slow-cooked in chicken stock as an accompaniment to roast chicken. Celery has such a lot going for it as a raw ingredient in salads, and because of that we rather forget how good it is cooked and served as a vegetable. Celery stalks' stringy fibers, often removed before cooking, here act as a brace to help the vegetable keep its shape through a long simmer. The result is a sweet and luscious side dish.
Braised Celery step by step
- Melt the butter in a frying pan along with the olive oil. Then fry the onions for 3-4 minutes over a medium to high heat..
- Next add the carrots and cook for a further 3 minutes..
- Add the celery and continue to fry for another 5-7 minutes..
- Season with salt and pepper and then pour in the hot stock and cover with lid..
- Turn the heat down and simmer for 20-30 minutes depending how soft you like your vegetables. Add any celery leaves 10 minutes before cooking is complete..
- Then remove the lid and increase the heat to medium and continue to simmer till the liquid has reduced and thickened..
- Serve the celery with all the juices and sprinkled with parsley..
Preparation Keeping celery ribs attached at base, peel outer ribs of celery hearts with a vegetable peeler. Share: Rate this Recipe Clean the celery, and discard the tops and any tough stalks. This recipe for Braised Celery Hearts from Gourmet Today by Ruth Reichl and John Willoughby gives the Browned in butter and braised with nothing more than a little stock, tender celery hearts are. Look for vegetables that are firm and bright in color – avoid those that are wilted or have wrinkled skins, which are signs of age. This recipe is a variation on a French salad — celery root remoulade — that pairs the root vegetable One of the least known vegetables, celery root has a subtle flavor that enhances dishes from soup to.