You can have Drumstick Sambar using 25 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Drumstick Sambar
- It’s 1 cup of Tur Dal.
- You need 10-12 of cut pieces of Drumstick.
- It’s 1 of small Bottlegourd (Cut into small pieces).
- You need 1 of small Carrot (Cut into small pieces).
- Prepare 7-8 cups of Water.
- Prepare 2-3 of Pearl Onions (Sliced).
- It’s 2 of Green Chillies (Slited).
- You need 1 Sprig of Curry Leaves.
- It’s 1 of small Tomato (Finely Chopped).
- You need 1 tbsp of Tamarind Paste.
- It’s 2 tbsp of Chilli Powder.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Coriander Powder.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Sambar Powder.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Turmeric Powder.
- You need 1/4 tsp of Methi Powder.
- It’s As per taste of Salt.
- Prepare For of Tempering:.
- It’s 2 tbsp of Coconut oil.
- It’s 1 tsp of Mustard Seeds.
- Prepare Pinch of Asafoetida.
- Prepare 2-3 of Whole Red Chillies.
- You need 2 of Green Chillies.
- Prepare 1 Sprig of Curry Leaves.
- Prepare 2-3 of Pearl Onions.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of Sambar Powder.
Drumstick Sambar instructions
- Wash the dal nicely till the water runs clear. Add the dal to a cooking vessel along with water and keep on medium flame..
- When the dal is half cooked, add the drumsticks, bottle gourd and carrot. Let it cook till the vegetables are half cooked. Reduce the flame to low..
- Add the spices i.e. chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, methi powder, sambar powder and salt. Let it cook..
- Add the onions, green chillies, curry leaves and tomato and let it cook..
- Add the tamarind paste and let it cook till the dal and vegetables are fully cooked. Turn off the flame..
- Add coconut oil into a tadka pan. When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and allow it to crackle. Add asafoetida, red chillies, green chillies, curry leaves and pearl onions and saute till the onions turn light brown. Add 1/4 tsp sambar powder. Saute for a minute and turn off the flame. Add this tadka to the sambar and immediately close the lid of the cooking vessel. When ready to consume, give it a good stir and enjoy with steamed rice, papad, garlic chutney and some fried starter..