Black-Eye Pea and Collard Greens Soup.
You can have Black-Eye Pea and Collard Greens Soup using 11 ingredients and 2 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Black-Eye Pea and Collard Greens Soup
- Prepare 2 cup of dried Black-Eye peas.
- It’s 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.
- Prepare 1 of large yellow onion, chopped.
- You need 2 of garlic cloves, finely chopped.
- You need 1/2 lb of cooked chicken breast or smoked turkey, cut into small cubes (optional).
- It’s 2 stalks of celery, chopped.
- You need 6 cup of low-sodium chicken broth.
- It’s 1 bunch of collard greens, tough stems and ribs removed, leaves thinly sliced.
- You need 4 of carrots, chopped.
- Prepare 1 of ground black pepper to taste.
- It’s 1 of cayenne pepper to taste.
Black-Eye Pea and Collard Greens Soup instructions
- Carefully pick through peas to remove any debris or small stones and rinse well. Transfer to large bowl, cover by 3 inches with water, cover and set aside at room temperature for 8 hours or overnight; drain and rise well. I used black-eyed pea from a can. (Optional).
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add onion garlic, chicken and celery and cook until onion is translucent, 5 to 8 minutes. Add peas and broth, bring to a boil and skim off and discard any form on the surface. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until peas are tender, about 45 minutes. Add collard greens and carrots and simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes more. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne and serve. Serves 6.