Jackfruit (Chakka) Halwa(Varattiyathu). Chakka Varrati (Jackfruit Halwa) is an authentic and most popular kerala delicacy made from ripened jackfruit. Chakka is a malayalam word for My mom used to make this with a whole jackfruit and it takes quite longer time to finish the jam. There are a slight variations to do this same recipe.
Chakka Varatti or Jackfruit Preserve is made with ripe jackfruits, ghee and jaggery. Generally this jackfruit preserve is made during jackfruit season and is stored for future use."Chakka" is a Malayasam word which means Jackfruit and "Varatti" means to cook until there is no moisture. Chakka Varattiyathu is an authentic and most popular Kerala dish prepared during the jackfruit season. You can have Jackfruit (Chakka) Halwa(Varattiyathu) using 5 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Jackfruit (Chakka) Halwa(Varattiyathu)
- Prepare 9-10 pieces of Jackfruit.
- You need 1.5 cup of jaggery.
- Prepare 5 tbsp of ghee.
- You need 1.5 cup of water.
- You need Few of watermelon seeds.
You can check the consistency of the chakka varatti by taking a small quantity of halwa in your wet hands and try to make a ball. If you are able to make a ball, then switch off the flame. Chakka varattiyathu – Jack fruit Halwa. Chakka Varatti is a Jack fruit preserve made from Ripe Jack fruit,Jaggery & little Ghee. "chakka" means Jackfruit & "varatti" means cook continuously until water content in it is Completely dried up.
Jackfruit (Chakka) Halwa(Varattiyathu) instructions
- Add jackfruit,1 cup of water in a pressure cooker. Cover and pressure cook for 3 whistles, Turn off the heat.
- Now transfer this mix to a pan..
- Add jaggery and 1/2 cup of water in a pan, heat so the jaggery is melted. add to the jackfruit pan..
- Now heat on high flame and let the mixture gets thick. keep stiring, it will get dark in colour and very thick..
- Add ghee and watermelon seeds at this point and keep mixing them, At this stage it will leave the sides of the pan like a halwa..
- Turn off the heat and let it cool and set in a greased tray and kept aside for 30 mins then cut into smaller pieces and place them in a plating tray and garnished it with some watermelon seeds and serve..
Kerala Style Chakka Varattiyathu is a tasty dessert recipe made with jackfruit. It is a halwa made with ripe jackfruit, jaggery, ghee, and cardamom powder. The recipe uses minimal ingredients and can be prepared in a jiffy. It is a great recipe to cook during the festive season when you have guests coming. This is not the first time I am speaking about the nutritional value of jackfruit.