Chicken, Ham and Leek Pie. The Hairy Bikers' chicken and ham pie is simple comfort food at its best – like a big warm hug on a cold day. Using leftover pieces of chicken, you can make a fabulous chicken, ham and leek pie Slimming World style, served with spare veg.an easy dinner! Our third recipe using up the leftover scraps of chicken to make a chicken, ham and leek pie – this time, scrape every last bit of meat you can from the bones.
This recipe for Chicken, Ham & Leek Pot Pie cooks in the slow cooker and is finished in the oven. It turns pot pie into an amazing weeknight dinner! People talked about pie and they never meant sweet pies. You can cook Chicken, Ham and Leek Pie using 18 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Chicken, Ham and Leek Pie
- It’s of For The Filling.
- Prepare 600 ml of Chicken stock – Flavoured with Herbs (Thyme, Rosemary and Black Peppercorns).
- You need 8-10 of Chicken Thighs – Skinned and Boned.
- It’s 2 of Large Leeks.
- It’s 85 Gr of Unsalted Butter (important if using Salty Pork Hoc).
- It’s 85 Gr of Plain Flour.
- You need 50 ml of Double cream (can us whipping cream if not available).
- You need 300 Gr of Pork Hoc – Cooked and Shredded.
- Prepare 2 Tbls of English Mustard.
- You need 75 Gr of Cheddar Grated – I used Mild but up to taste.
- You need to Taste of Salt and Pepper.
- Prepare of For the Pastry.
- It’s 250 Gr of Plain Floor.
- It’s 1 of Sml Egg.
- It’s 45 Gr of Unsalted Butter.
- Prepare 45 Gr of Lard Diced (or you can use the Chicken schmaltz when making your own stock if you have it).
- It’s 100 ml of water.
- It’s 1 of Egg to Glaze.
It was always a pork pie, or steak & mushroom and I quickly realized that pie in this country is. Chicken, Ham & Leek Pie recipe: Chicken, Ham and Leek pie, served with some lovely veggies. Mix the cornflour with a little of the milk. Roll out the pie crust until it is slightly larger than the pie plate.
Chicken, Ham and Leek Pie step by step
- Put Chicken Stock in a saucepan add 5 Sprigs of rosemary 5 sprigs of thyme and 5 peppercorns. Bring to a simmer, then infuse over a low heat for 5 minutes. Then strain to leave just the Stock..
- Add the chicken thighs to the pan, bring back to a simmer and cook gently for 20 minutes. Add the leeks and cook for 10-15 minutes until soft..
- Strain the stock into a clean bowl, and set aside the chicken and leeks to cool..
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium-low heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute to make a roux. Swap the spoon for a whisk. Slowly add the reserved chicken stock to the roux, whisking constantly to keep the sauce smooth. Continue cooking the sauce over a medium-low heat for 2–3 minutes, or until the sauce thickens..
- Remove from Heat and Add Cheese and allow to melt, add the Cream and mustard..
- Then Return all the Leeks, Ham and chicken to the sauce and stir to combine. Allow to Cool..
- Place the flour and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Pour in the eggs. Mix on a medium speed until well incorporated- About 30 secs..
- Melt the butter, lard and 250ml water in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Turn the mixer to a low speed and gradually pour in the warm liquid, stopping as soon as a dough forms. (You can do this by hand with a large bowl and Spoon)..
- Spoon the cooled filling into a oven Proof dish, then roll out the pasty so bigger than the top. Place the pasty on the top and push around the edges trimming any excess..
- Brush the surface evenly with beaten egg and cut a small hole in the middle of the top, to allow the steam to escape. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes (or upto a day) to allow the pastry to set..
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6. and cook for 35-40min until pastry is golden and filling is bubbling. Take out of the Oven and rest for 5 mins before serving..
Using ham hock fat to render some fat and cook the ham and chicken just until chicken is browned off. Remove and cook leeks with butter until sweated Fill pie cases with pie mix and top with a disc of puff pastry. Then I added the leeks & onions to it. I cut up the ham slices and layered it along with the cubed chicken and the leek mixture. Add the ham and leeks to the chicken along with the diced lard, ginger, mace, salt and ground black pepper.