callaloo. Callaloo is a spicy Caribbean soup and the edible leaves of several tropical plants that are used to make the stew. Callaloo recipes, and the use of different types of leaves, vary by region, but the. Callaloo Jamaican Style – A vibrant, healthy and fresh way of cooking leafy vegetables.
Jamaican Callaloo is a popular local staple green leafy vegetable, cooked with onion, garlic, tomatoes, thyme and Scotch bonnet pepper. Perfect healthy side dish for a tropical breakfast, lunch or dinner. Callaloo is a type of soup made in Trinidad and Tobago, and it's a must-have on the table for the traditional Sunday meal. You can have callaloo using 11 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of callaloo
- It’s 1 dozen of dasheen bush leaves.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of pumpkin, peeled and chopped.
- You need 1 of hot pepper.
- You need 8 of ochroes, chopped.
- It’s 1 tsp of parsley, finely chopped.
- It’s 2 cup of coconut milk.
- You need 1 of onion, finely chopped.
- It’s 1 of sprig chive, finely chopped.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of celery, finely chopped.
- Prepare 1 of pimento.
- It’s 1 of salt to taste.
Caribbean spinach. taro leaves. dasheen. elephant ear. elephant's ear. Wikipedia Article About Callaloo on Wikipedia. Callaloo definition is – the edible young green leaves of a plant (such as taro or a member of the genus Examples of callaloo in a Sentence. Recent Examples on the Web Or head to the on-site.
callaloo step by step
- wash dasheen bush leaves, cut off tip and discard then finely chop bush.
- pour all ingredients into deep pot.
- pour coconut milk over it, place on a low fire and leave to cook.
- when ingredients have softened, stir and ensure that there is enough liquid in the pot.
- add salt to taste and hot pepper(optional).
- you may also add more water if liquid is drying up but not too much.
- when dasheen bush is thoroughly cooked and soft, remove from heat and allow to cool before blending.
- blend in a processor or blender until smooth.
- swizzle stick may be used instead while still in pot instead of blender or processor.
- serve with desired meals.
Information and translations of callaloo in the most comprehensive dictionary definitions resource on the web. Callaloo, a native West African dish, came to the Caribbean during the triangular slave trade along Even today, in callaloo's postcolonial adaptation—where ingredients like fresh crab and chopped. Personally, I find that the smoked bone really hits the spot, but then pig tail hits another spot and crab hits another (it seems that I have a few spots). Callaloo is a popular Caribbean vegetable dish. There are many variants across the Caribbean, depending on the availability of local vegetables.