Jamaican red peas soup. Jamaican Red Pea Soup recipe is definitely a family favourite, and one of the most recognisable soups to come out of Jamaica. With it full of juicy dumplings, beef, yam, sweet potato, and hot spices such as scotch bonnet and pimento seeds – it's sure to get your stomach warm and full! Caribbean Red Peas Soup (stewed peas)
When the peas and pig's tail is partially cook, add the Irish and sweet potatoes, cocoa, scallion, thyme and hot pepper. Rich and decadent, Jamaican Red Peas Soup (actually made with Red Kidney Beans) is thick, creamy and full of meat, dumplings and ground provisions, making it perfect for a summer starter or a warming winter meal. The traditional recipe calls for stewing beef along with salted pig tails or ham hocks. You can have Jamaican red peas soup using 17 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Jamaican red peas soup
- Prepare 3/4 lb of pig tail (cut in pieces).
- You need 1/2 lb of stew beef (cut in pieces).
- Prepare 3/4 lb of Red peas.
- You need 1 1/2 pack of grace cock soup.
- You need 1/2 lb of flour.
- You need 4 tbs of cornmeal.
- You need 1/2 lb of yam.
- You need 1/2 lb of sweet potato.
- You need of pimento seeds.
- You need 2 stalks of escallion.
- Prepare 1 sprig of thyme.
- You need 1 of green scotch bonnet pepper.
- It’s 1/2 lb of pumpkin.
- It’s 1 of small dasheen (to thicken soup).
- It’s 1 pk of Kendel coconut powder.
- It’s 2 of pegs garlic.
- It’s 10 of pimento seeds.
About a dozen whole dry pimento berries (Allspice). This is a recipe for authentic Jamaican red pea soup. In Jamaica, kidney beans are known as red peas. Despite its name, and like most Jamaican soups, red peas soup is a thick, flavorful stew consisting of meat such as beef or pork, starchy vegetables such as yams, potatoes, and red peas, and tender, chewy dumplings.
Jamaican red peas soup instructions
- Rinse pig's tail and beef with vinegar and water..
- Boil pig tail for about 5 mins., to get rid of excess salt..
- Rinse peas and place in pressure cooker, dice pumpkin and dasheen and add to peas along with garlic and pimento seeds. Add enough water to cover the peas. Then bring to a boil..
- Pour about 6 cups tap water in the pressure cooker, then add meat. cover and pressure for 30 minutes. (start counting after the pressure cooker starts making that sound :)).
- Remove from heat and allow the cooker to cool, then open. remove meat if they are already tender..
- Pour out the contents of the pressure cooker in another pot, or use an ordinary cover on the pressure cooker. Use the flour and cornmeal to make dumplings, peel and slice yam and sweet potato or any other ground provision you like, add to the pot..
- Mix the coconut cream in 1 cup warm water and add to pot.
- Add, cock soup, escallion, thyme and scotch bonnet pepper. Cover and allow food to cook. This will take about 15 minutes. Add cooked meat when about 5 mins remain..
- Stir regularly to prevent sticking..
- Remove from heat, and enjoy!.
The stew is additionally flavored with seasonings such as pimento and thyme. You haven't had red peas soup until you've had it Jamaican style! Say "Yeah Mon" if you agree with me (lol) 🙂 Anyway, here is it. Try this Jamaican Red Pea Soup recipe, or contribute your own. (If using canned beans, add at this time.) Add salt to taste. Remove the whole hot pepper and thyme sprig before serving.