Ridge gourd chutney. Ridge Gourd is a such a tasty and economical vegetable we can prepare two dishes using one vegetable. The skin is used for chutney and the vegetable is used. Ridge Gourd Peel Chutney tastes heavenly when mixed with rice along with a dash of til oil.
It can be served with steamed plain rice or chapathi. Ridge Gourd or Beerakaya is a vegetable I haven't seen much in Kottayam. I finally ended up trying this Ridge Gourd chutney with lots of coriander leaves and it came together really quickly and easily. You can cook Ridge gourd chutney using 7 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Ridge gourd chutney
- It’s 2 long of ridge gourds.
- You need 5 of red chillies.
- It’s 1 tbsp of Urad dhal (whole).
- You need 1 tbs of Tamarind paste.
- You need to taste of Salt.
- It’s 4 tbsp of Grated Coconut.
- You need 5 of small onions.
Ridge gourd, a fiber rich vegetable helps to overcome constipation and also improves immune system. Ridge gourd palya, Sihi and chutney are popular in Udupi out of all other. Ridge gourd is know as turai in Hindi, Heerekai in Kannada, beerakai in Telugu, peechinga in Malayalam and peerkangai in Tamil. This is a healthy and tasty chutney made using ridge gourd pulp.
Ridge gourd chutney step by step
- Wash and Remove the thick wire from the skin and peel the skin, cut into small pieces..
- In a pan roast the urad dhal and red chill without oil until golden brown..
- Remove and keep. In the same pan fry the ridge gourd skin until become soft, put off fire. Now add small onion also. Mix and keep..
- Now put altogether in a mixi jar, add salt and tamarind, and 6tbsp water and grind into a paste..
- Your tasty chutney is now ready..
- Don't throw ridge gourd skin when you make subji. Use the skin to make chutney. It will go with dosa, oddly, and sambar rice also..
Ridge gourd is easily available in Indian stores or south east Asian stores across US. Whenever I make this ridge gourd chutney, I feel happy and proud that I have not wasted any food. Ridge Gourd Peel Chutney tastes heavenly when mixed with rice along with a dash of til oil. It can also be had along with dosas,idlis,puris, and just about any dish. Ridge gourd chutney is one of the easiest spiced healthy dip made with few ingredients.