Peerkangai Thoghayal | Ridge Gourd Chutney. This video explains about how to prepare Ridge gourd / peerkangai thogayal. Peerkangai Thogayal/Ridge gourd chutney is a south Indian side dish that pairs very well with steamed rice and rasam. Ridge gourd can be prepared in various ways, in the form of curries, as an addition to sambar, but I like it best as a thick creamy thogayal.
Peerkangai Thogayal/Ridge gourd chutney is a south Indian side dish that pairs very well with steamed rice and rasam. Ridge gourd can be prepared in various ways, in the form of curries, as an addition to sambar, but I like it best as a thick creamy thogayal. We usuallu make only this ridge gourd gravy for rice which we call it as chutney (consistency is more like sambar/ kuzhambu) but haven't tried making thogayal. You can have Peerkangai Thoghayal | Ridge Gourd Chutney using 16 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Peerkangai Thoghayal | Ridge Gourd Chutney
- Prepare of Thoghayal.
- It’s 1/2 kg of Ridge gourd/Turai.
- You need 1 of lemon sized ball of deseeded tamarind.
- You need 1 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 2 of green chillies.
- Prepare 2 of dry red chillies.
- You need 1/4 cup of split dehusked black lentils/ udad dal.
- It’s 1/4 cup of curry leaves.
- It’s 1 of big size tomato.
- It’s 1/4 cup of grated fresh or desiccated coconut.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of aesofotida.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of Coconut or vegetable oil.
- It’s of Tampering.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of Coconut oil.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of mustard seeds.
- Prepare 4-5 of curry leaves.
Peerkangai Thol Thogayal, Ridge gourd peel Pacchadi/chutney, Turai Chilka Chutney is sidedish for idli, dosa, rice. Ridgegourd (Turai) Peel Chutney Recipe (for Idli, Dosa, Rice). Ridge Gourd Peel Chutney tastes heavenly when mixed with rice along with a dash of til oil. It can also be had along with dosas, idlis and puris.
Peerkangai Thoghayal | Ridge Gourd Chutney instructions
- Wash the ridge gourd/turai clean. Scrape out only the hard part of the skin and leave the tender part, it is full of nutrition, so we want it in our thogayal. Roughly chop the vegetable and set aside.
- In a pan add oil and fry the dal/ lentil till golden colour.
- Add both chillies and asafoetida and fry for 1 minute..
- Add the vegetable, mix and let it cook for 1/2 a minute. Add tamarind and fry..
- Once the vegetable is half cooked add the roughly chopped tomato, coconut, salt and curry leaves. Cover and cook till gourd is fully soft. Switch off flame and let the mixture come to room temperature.
- Put in a mixer grinder and grind till smooth paste..
- Tamper by adding coconut oil in a pan and heat. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves..
- Add the prepared paste to the tampering and cook for just half a minute in it..
- Enjoy it with with hot chapatis or steamed rice by adding some oil like it's done traditionally.
Ridge Gourd Peel Chutney Recipe – Peerkangai Chutney Recipe. Peerkangai chutni/ thovaiyal is a tasty and healthy sidedish for idly , dosa, hot rice with ghee. Peerkangai Skin Chutney-Ridge Gourd Thol Thogayal. Ridge gourd Chutney – A healthy and tasty chutney made with ridge gourd skin and flesh. Ridge gourd chutney goes well as a side with idli, dosa, steamed rice and roti.