Achaari Gongura Rice.
You can cook Achaari Gongura Rice using 14 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Achaari Gongura Rice
- Prepare 2 cups of cooked rice.
- Prepare of FOR TEMPERING:.
- It’s 2 tbsp of oil (coconut or any other cooking oil).
- You need 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of jeera/cumin seeds.
- You need 1/2 tsp of urad dal/split black gram dal.
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of chana dal/split chickpea dal.
- You need 2-3 of dry red chilies, broken into 2 pieces (or use green chilies/jalapenos).
- It’s of Few curry leaves (about 8 to 10).
- Prepare 1/4 cup of to 1/3 cup grated coconut (fresh or frozen).
- Prepare 1/3-1/4 cup of peanuts or cashew nuts (optional but adds a wonderful crunch to the dish!).
- It’s 1/4 tsp of haldi/turmeric powder.
- You need 2-3 tablespoons of Gongura/Sorrel leaves pickle; I have used Mother’s pickles.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of hing/asafetida powder.
Achaari Gongura Rice instructions
- TO MAKE ACHAARI GONGURA RICE: Heat oil and once hot, add mustard seeds. As soon as the seeds start to splutter and crackle, add jeera, urad dal, chana dal, dry red chilies, curry leaves and saute for a few seconds..
- Stir in dry grated coconut. Fry or saute on medium low heat, stirring often until the coconut is slightly roasted..
- Stir in peanuts (or cashews if using) and mix well. If the nuts are not roasted, fry for a while other wise proceed with the other ingredients.
- Add haldi powder and 2 to 3 tablespoons of Gongura pickle; mix well (you can add more if needed, so start with 2 tablespoons first)..
- Sprinkle cooked rice over the mixture and mix to combine thoroughly. Do a taste test and add more pickles or salt if needed. Heat through, stirring often on medium heat. Sprinkle hing powder (optional), mix well and remove from heat..
- Serve hot, spicy and jhatpat Achaari Gongura Rice hot or at room temperature. It is best enjoyed with some raita or plain curd on the side. A few crisp papads/potato chips or a fresh and crunchy salad on the side and your soul comforting Indian meal is ready to dig into!.
- Notes Adjust the amount of spices according to personal taste. Use as much or as little as the pickle depending upon the taste of the brand of pickle. The same recipe can be made using any other pickle but make sure it does not have big chunks and is mostly in a paste form!.
- Enjoy and Happy Cooking!.