Sorrel leaves Chutney. Andhra Gongura Pachadi or this Andhra style chutney made of sorrel leaves an authentic delicacy typical to Telugu cuisine. It is an important part of every festive meal or feast. The flavorful sorrel leaves chutney which I had at my friend's place had awakened my taste buds then.
Here is the simple recipe for preparing Gongura Chutney. In the same pan add oil, green chillies, garlic, cumin seeds, red sorrel leaves and saute it, later transfer into same blender. An ace Chutney Gongura Pachadi or Sorrel Leaves Chutney is quintessentially an authentic delicacy of Telugu cuisine & a part of many feast & festivals. You can have Sorrel leaves Chutney using 16 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Sorrel leaves Chutney
- It’s 6-7 of sorrel leaves/gongura leaves.
- You need 2 tablespoons of oil.
- It’s 10 of dried red chillies.
- You need 1 tbsp of coriander seeds.
- It’s 1 tbsp of cumin seeds.
- Prepare 3-4 of fenugreek seeds.
- It’s to taste of Salt.
- Prepare 6-7 of garlic cloves.
- It’s 1 of large size onion.
- You need 2 tbsp of oil.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of chana dal.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of urad dal.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds.
- You need 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds.
- You need 4-5 of dried red chillies.
- It’s 6-7 of curry leaves.
Gongura (Sorrel) leaves have sour taste and are rich in vitamins, anti-oxidants. Gongura as chutney, pickle is popular in Andhra Pradesh. This is consumed more in other south Indian states also. Andhra pradesh, my home state is very popular for eating hot and spicy food.
Sorrel leaves Chutney step by step
- Firstly, pluck all the gongura leaves, wash them and set them aside..
- In a wok, add about 1 tbsp oil, add the gongura leaves and green chillies and cook them for about ten minutes until they turn soft and mushy..
- Cook on medium flame..
- Once it is done cool it and add garlic cloves…Blend it in a blender into smooth paste. I used hand blender..
- Into it add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and let them pop up..
- Add dried red chillies, stir for few seconds.Add curry leaves and let them crackle..
- Add the tempering to the pickle. Serve hot with ghee and rice!!!.
Coming to pickles, the most populous one's are aavakaaya (mango pickle) and gongura pachadi (red sorrel leaves chutney). A spicy chutney prepared using either red or green Sorrel leaves. Method: Separate Gongura leaves from the stem, wash and chop finely. Gongura Chutney or sorrel leaves chutney is a very popular dish of Andhra Pradesh. In Tamil, Gongura is called Pulicha keerai because of its sour taste.