Gongura (Ambadi) pickle/chutney. Gongura Pachadi or chutney is no doubt an "Andhra Special" dish. In olden days this used be one among other special dishes on any special. Gongura Pachadi or chutney is no doubt an Andhra Special dish.
Gongura pachadi recipe or gongura chutney. Red sorrel leaves are called as gongura or puntikura in telugu, pulicha keerai in tamil, punde pale in kannada and ambaadi in Marati, pitwaa in Hindi. These leaves taste sour can help in alleviating symptoms of cold, cough and fever too. You can cook Gongura (Ambadi) pickle/chutney using 16 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Gongura (Ambadi) pickle/chutney
- You need 3tbsp- of gingelly oil.
- Prepare 1tsp- of mustard seeds.
- You need Pinch of – heeng.
- You need 1tsp- of cumin seeds.
- Prepare 1tsp of – coriander seeds.
- It’s 2tbsp of – Chana dal.
- It’s 2tbsp- of urad dal.
- Prepare 2tbsp of – daalia.
- It’s 2-3tbsp of – groundnuts.
- Prepare 4 of pieces-dried red chillies.
- It’s 5 of pieces- small garlic cloves.
- You need 1 of medium size- diced onion.
- Prepare 5-6cup of – gongura/ambadi/sorrel leaves (washed and pat dried).
- You need 1/2tsp of – turmeric.
- Prepare as per taste of Salt.
- Prepare 1tsp of – tamarind paste.
Gongura is a plant,Roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa), grown for its edible leaves in India. These leaves are used in south central Indian cuisine to impart a tart flavour. Gongura Pachadi (pickle) is a very popular & authentic dish in Andhra Cuisine. Its made of fresh Gongura leaves and spices.
Gongura (Ambadi) pickle/chutney step by step
- Heat the oil in a pan and add everything in list of ingredients one after another mixing and sautéing leaving out gongura leaves..
- Sauté till light brown and then add the leaves.. It will take less then a minute for leaves to shrink and change it's color.
- Now, add turmeric, salt and tamarind paste and stir and mix well for a minute on medium flame. Set aside for it too cool completely..
- Coarsely grind the ingredients using as lil water needed to churn..
- And voila, Gongura/Ambadi/Sorrel Leaves chutney/pickle ready..
We can mix the Gongura pickle with rice or serve with curd rice or Idli / Dosa. Gongura pachadi recipe, a hot spicy and tangy chutney from andhra cuisine is made using red sorrel leaves. It is served with rice ! Once cool , transfer to a dry clean glass container. Delicious Gongura Pickle is ready to be served with hot rice.