Spinach and ricotta fluffy pie. Ready in under an hour you can make it ahead and cook it when you need it. Today I would like to share with you my Spinach and Ricotta Pie recipe. We love this spinach and ricotta pie with spring vegetables, and especially so because it's easy and requires no crust!
I thought I would share this Spinach Ricotta Rustic Pie just before Easter as a lot of us will be serving a meatless Good Friday meal. In Italy when you talk Torta Rustica/Rustic Pie people usually have a Spinach Ricotta Pie in. Transfer greens into a mixing bowl. You can have Spinach and ricotta fluffy pie using 9 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Spinach and ricotta fluffy pie
- Prepare of puff pastry (approx. 250g/.5lb or more).
- You need of (approx. 1lb) fresh baby spinach.
- It’s of ricotta cheese (.5lb).
- It’s of eggs.
- You need of onions (white or red).
- Prepare of a nutmeg (approx. 1/8 of a teaspoon).
- Prepare of olive oil.
- You need of salt.
- Prepare of black pepper.
Add the eggs, ricotta and parsley and mix well until combined. Line the base of a pie dish with pastry – any leftovers can be used to decorate the top of your pie or left out if you wish. This spinach quiche is the perfect breakfast to enjoy on a Sunday morning. Spinach and ricotta are the perfect pair which provide a ton of flavor.
Spinach and ricotta fluffy pie step by step
- Preheat the oven for 220°C (430F)..
- Unwrap the pastry and roll it on a flat surface. If needed, roll it with a rolling pin to match the size of your baking pan. Place the baking paper in your baking pan and cover with the pastry. Pull the edges up a bit – these will form the sides of the pie. Make few holes in the pie with a fork so that the dough is able to breath..
- Put the dough in the oven for approximately 15 minutes or until the pastry is goldenish. In case the dough makes bubbles, pierce it with the fork..
- While the dough is in the oven, prepare the spinach filling. Thoroughly wash the spinach leaves and let the dry. Cut the onion in the small cubes and sautee it in the pan on a fair amount of olive oil..
- Add spinach leaves, cover the pan and leave it for a while until it diminishes in volume..
- Once done, turn off the heat..
- Mix spinach and ricotta cheese in the bowl. Season with salt, pepper and a pinch of minced nutmeg..
- Cut the onions into slices and use the as a base layer on your baked pastry..
- Cover the onions with spinach and ricotta. Make two holes and fill them with eggs..
- Put back in the oven for another 10 – 15 minutes. I used grill function for this as it cooks the eggs faster. Once the eggs are cooked (or less cooked, if you prefer them being a little bit liquid), take out of the oven and let the pie to cool down for a minute or two. (If you use a grill function, watch the pie thoroughly… I didn't and it burnt on the side a little bit. 🙂 ).
- Serve and enjoy your wonderful meal. 🙂 I served the pie with a delicious pak choi salad – see my another recipe, which is easy peasy..
An egg custard brings everything tog. Spinach and ricotta pie is a classic pizza pie, a whole meal pizza pie enclosing a filling of garlic, spinach, ricotta cheese, cheese and Did you know that the Italian word pizza actually means a pie? Some classic versions of pizzas have double crusts, are topped and baked similar to pies in large tins. Today's recipe is perfect for potlucks and picnics. It is one of my favourite savoury pies and I make it often.