Scallion pancake. Such an EASY snack or appetizer. The pancakes are great on their own, or paired with a soy sauce and vinegar based dipping sauce. Chinese scallion pancakes are always such a hit at dim sum.
Scallion pancakes really are that easy to make home. I can't believe I've been ordering them from my neighborhood Chinese take-out, when I could have been making them all this time?! Learn how to make Chinese Scallion Pancakes! You can have Scallion pancake using 7 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Scallion pancake
- It’s 200 gram of all purpose flour.
- Prepare 140 gram of boiled water.
- Prepare 2 pieces of Scallion.
- It’s 8 gram of salt.
- Prepare 15 gram of Oil.
- It’s of Black pepper.
- You need of White pepper (optional).
What better way to celebrate Chinese New Year than with this easy to make flatbread! The secret to layered, flaky, chewy-crunchy scallion pancakes? It's all in the roll (and the spin, and the re-roll). Not to mention the low and slow crisping.
Scallion pancake instructions
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt in the flour before putting boiled water in. Mix it with chopsticks (or spoon) until you can touch the dough by your hands.
- Knead the dough until the surface is slick. Cover it up with wet clothes for 20 mins.
- Roll the dough into a round(around 1 mm tall) sprinkle 8 grams of salt on the dough.
- Add oil on the top of the dough.
- Use the brush to spread out the oil.
- Sprinkle the scallions evenly. Add pepper.
- Roll the dough up gently.
- Close the edge on the side to prevent scallion from popping out.
- Hold the edge on both sides and twist them by different directions at the same time.
- Wind it into 2 circles on top of each others.
- Flat it into 5 cms thick. Cover it by wet cloth for 20 mins to 1 hr.
- Preheat the pan until you can feel the heat on top of it. Put the pancake in. Cook with medium fire..
- Flip it around when the bottom is golden brown(around 3-5 mins). Cover the cap to cook the other side until it golden brown.
- Add oil into the pan (around 20 grams) Pan- fry both side till it’s golden brown.
- Put it on paper napkin to absorb extra oil..
- Voilà ❤️.
Freezer-friendly & just as good as our traditional scallion pancake recipes! An informative guide to making scallion pancakes. Dipping sauce suggestions are also provided. Scallion pancakes (Cong You Bing, 葱油饼) are a very popular staple food in China. Chinese scallion pancakes are healthy, vegan, crispy and delicious!